Sunday, September 11, 2022

Area H Alternative School 50th Anniversary Reunion

While 9-11 is a time of understandable mourning for many, for me it is a sweet memory of a very important day. 50 years ago today, Sept 11, 1972, was the first day of the Area H Alternative School, created by a wonderful group of teachers, parents, and students, as envisioned and shepherded by my dad, Oak Norton. He worked for over a year before opening day, and I remember being a part of many meetings, location scouts, meetings, and more meetings! We were doing something incredibly new and experimental, yet working within an established “system” of one of the largest school districts in the world. It was not easy, but it was worth it because it changed many lives, including my own, and paved the way for the best parts of current Magnet and Charter schools, where kids are treated as individuals and education is progressive and experiential.

It was so sad that Dad passed way just 2 months before the reunion, yet lovely to hear how much he meant to so many people.

The reunion included 3 days of events, I was only able to attend the reception at Senor Fish on Friday and the open house on Saturday. Still, I got to spend time with so many dear people who are part of my AHAS Family! Love you all!

Friday Reception at Senor Fish

September 09, 2022

Watching some incredible 50 year old film and photos provided by David McDonald. Thank you David!



So lovely to chat with Sylva Manoogian again about old times and new!

Saturday Open House at the School Campus

September 10, 2022


Reuniting with two of my all time favorite teachers, Penny King and Jeri Wilson❤️


Michelle Klopping, dear wife of my friend Fred, who I somehow didn't get any pix of even thought we spent a lot of time talking!

Tim Ford’s TV Studio, I spent SO much time in this room, not just TV stuff, we had Beatles class, Short Film class, planned the 1968 Fair, and just hung out with dear friends!

The old Preschool area

The memorial displays



Dear friend Jason was remembered with his drawings and some of my photos.

Among others, Annette Head, the mom of my good friends and also my teacher for Spanish, Latin, German, Drama, and Square-dancing! An amazing lady!❤️

Dad’s memorial display. Thanks to those who put this all together. It meant a lot ❤️

Very happy that so many of the beautiful Oak Trees have been preserved on this campus.

I taught my first class under this Oak Tree. As students we had the opportunity to develop our own curriculum and teach classes. I did 2 classes, this one was “Technical Theatre”.

This garden is new and really wonderful. Behind the garden is a gate that Jason and I used to sneak through to make movies in “the jungle”. The fences are a lot stronger now!


I remember this being the science room. Rick the science teacher at the time had us doing lots of lab experiments that were pretty cool!

The top of the hill was undeveloped when I was in school, just picnic benches and dirt. Trees are still here but also a large bathroom building. Probably necessary, but I liked the open space!

Lots of great new murals!

Annette’s room, lots of good memories here!❤️

Dad’s room, and after he left, the Math room. After dad we had some other great math teachers, each made learning more fun in different ways!


When we first moved to this “permanent” location the hill was undeveloped, we just slid down dirt paths as I remember. At some point a bunch of students created some steps with railroad ties, and now legal concrete steps.

Prepared for rain that never really showed. Some nice opening speeches, and a fun band performed under the tent.

Ara and Sylva Manoogian talking about the formation of the Alternative School.
 Ara and Sylva Manoogian talking about the formation of the Alternative School.

How wonderful to see all of our old yearbooks out for people to go through! The plan is to digitize them all to share!





I was remembered as the senior who carried around a Star Wars lunchbox, so I thought I would bring my ORIGINAL SW lunch box to the Reunion! It’s now vintage, just like me!


I thought a LOT about the whole AHAS experience, as well as the friends and connections made because of the Alternative school. This family created 50 years ago is so precious to me, both intellectually and emotionally. Some friends I have never lost touch with and see on a regular basis, others are far away yet I know I can call them any time, still others I know would be there for me even if I haven't talked to them in decades. That is pretty special, and I feel very lucky to be a part of this grand experiment.

Thanks, Dad 🧡 


No comments:

Post a Comment